Sunday, August 30, 2009

Culture

Just getting ready to watch Nip Tuck and thought I would write a bit more tonight. There is no TV here, so we make frequent trips to the DVD store. I have purchased Nip Tuck, United Nations of Tara (LOVE IT), Sex and the City, and about 20 movies. They offer TV here, but there are only 3 or 5 English channels, so why bother. Some of you have asked about Face book, and yes, it is banned here. We are able to access it through a VPN that we pay monthly for, so it looks like we are in the states. Not sure why China's government does that, and I don't agree with a few of their ways but most of them I do. They run a pretty good system over here. Everything is super clean, and the Asians are very friendly. They don't offer welfare or social security, so everyone works. The landscaping is all done by the older ladies. You might think that is odd, but they seem to really enjoy themselves. In the mornings 8-10 of them are out there picking and pruning, just chatting away. It is their social time. I have noticed a few other brilliant systems that I admire. Trash for instance is scarce here. Each apt building that houses over 200-300 people only has ONE, yes ONE trash can out front. You know the kind we have back home that is over filled by the time they pick it up? They keep the trash down by selling very little paper products, paper plates, plastic etc. Also, since there are so many people nobody has ovens or dryers. Cuts down on electricity. They also don't believe in credit here..You even have pay for your gas before you use it. You literally put money on your card, then slide your card into your meter. Cell phones are pay as you go etc.. That fact that you can't charge anything makes people work a little harder.

I am enjoying getting to know the culture. We choose a new spot to visit on the weekends, and in a year I don't think we will get to all in Shanghai. I am also trying to figure out what sport to do on my own. If I wanted I could play something every night. They have ultimate Frisbee, dragon boating, volleyball, rugby and more. I was thinking of taking up bar hopping. That seems the healthiest:) I am working on posting pics as we speak...

No comments:

Post a Comment