Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day in the Life of China

I have some free time, it is so cold outside I can't do anything else! We are going on day 4 of rain, temp in the 40's and no sun..I thought I wanted winter to come, now that it is here all I want is sunlight, is that to much to ask for? It should be interesting, I asked for change right?

I am going to describe a typical day in China for me:

6:00 alarm goes off, roll over to flip on the computer and read my emails. Email Jordan to tell him I am awake, and read his email. I look forward to waking up each morning to an email from him, read it then crawl out of bed. Spend the next 45 minutes showering, getting ready and talking with him on Skype.

7:00 Make a quick breakfast, usually two eggs, sometimes oatmeal, sometimes coffee. The last 8 days I have had breakfast everyday, that is my new goal. Doing well so far I must say. Also, gives me time to sit down and Facebook, my healthy addiction.

7:15 Out the door. This is after my usual packing, laptop, power cord, lunch, book, 10rmb for taxi, and at least an apple since the day is long, Without preparing ahead of time you end up grabbing a snack from the vending machine which goes right to my you know what~!

7:15 On the way to school. Usually I am sitting in a cart, we call it a Tuk Tuk. It is similar to a bike with a large square box with a seat on the back. The ride to school is filled with horns, stares, Chinese swear words, a few times of almost getting hit, then arrival. I also get to take a side street through a more poverty stricken street, the locals are outside brushing their teeth, doing laundry in a bucket, walking to an outside bathroom facility, or even grabbing the days feast from a pond that smells like sewage. Really makes me appreciate where I come from.

7:25 Greeted at the front door by the guards, pay my driver a lovely $1.00 and head in. Quick temp check, (Every one that enters the school must get it done) this avoids one sick person spreading it to the rest, then towards my room.

7:30 Skype with Jordan, check emails, write on my board, say goodbye to Jordan and greet children. If I am every having a rough morning this is where I always forgot about it. Each day the kids walk in excited, ready to learn. All except one or two of the boys that are still asleep.

8:00 Students are doing bell work, today it was, "If I could have anything in the world for my birthday it would be?" They work for 10 minutes and I take attendance, check emails, tell Jordan I love him:)

8:10 Teaching time. I teach 5 classes and have two 50 minute classes off to plan, and a 35 minute lunch. I teach two history classes and two language arts, one TEP class, which is Transitional English Program.

11:45 Lunch time, grab my chicken and peppers from the fridge (that seems to be my maids favorite dish but I am not complaining) or a salad, and talk on Skype with Jordan.

12:20 Teaching continues

1:15 Prep time, this is the time that I say goodnight to Jordan and actually work. I do anything from grade papers to write exams, or today I was writing an article for our school newspaper, Dragon News.

3:00 School is out.

3:05 Tutoring begins. I usually wouldn't tutor but this student needs some extra help. I adore this boy as well, he is from Hong Kong, and quite the character.

5:00 Tutoring is over, pack up all my stuff, say goodbye to any teachers working late and jump on the bus. Say hello to a few kids, even though they see me often on the bus they still get excited. Have some small talk about the day.

5:30 Home. First thing I do is set my stuff down and change. Nothing better then getting into comfy clothes.

5:45 Get on Facebook, relax for a while..

6:00 Throw a beanie on an some shoes and head out to dinner. Tonight is Heifu family dinner night. Since we all live in apartments that are next to each other people rotate on who does the cooking. Tonight is Thai food at the Wetzels. This family is from Seattle, they have two young daughters.

7:50 Run across the gardens back home to talk with Jordan.

8:00 Talk with Jordan on Skype for an hour and a half, say our good nights, he is going to work I am going to bed.

9:40 Quick shower, read the latest Jodi Picoult novel or journal about my day.

10:00 Bedtime. Try to get some shuteye for another long day!

That is the typical life of me here..Time is flying by, it is almost time for me to go home. 5 more weeks, then Jordan will be moving back here. I can't wait to start my life here with him. He is excited as well. I would give you a day on the weekends, but they are a little crazy:)

Night all.

2 comments:

  1. it sounds like Jordan gets no sleep!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does, maybe 6 hours a night. I come before sleep. I love him!

    ReplyDelete