Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wednesday evening..

Just walked in from work. Eating a fresh carrot that was picked right from the field. Reminds me of when I was little, my dad used to take us to pick carrots. Something about the taste, just so good. I saw the sun for the FIRST time today, it has been a month and a few days since I have seen it. At home I wouldn't even let myself look directly at the sun, today I couldn't stop looking. Pain and all. Amazing the little things you miss... sunsets, food, birds, smells. Don't think the sun isn't here, it is just where I live the buildings are to high to see it:) And the birds don't like it here, must be the pollution or maybe they eat them?

Had a good day at work. Took the kids on a little field trip to our elementary school to get some books. I like the fact that I can just book a van, send home permission slips and go on my way. I don't want these blogs to turn into sounding negative about how they run things back home, since there are positives and negatives in every place. However, I am learning quickly why education elsewhere is much more advanced. Keep in mind though that all of these kids want to come to America for their college education! We definitely do our higher education right! They allow teachers so much freedom here, they trust in what we do, pay well and take great care of us, so we want to do really well. I am finally getting used to being treated like we should, respected by all. Teachers are placed in the higher class here, back home it seemed the comment I repeatedly heard was, "I don't know how you do it, you don't get paid enough and have to many kids." Here I have 20, don't have one duty, (Principal and Asst. P do them, they literally come out of their office between every 50 minute period and stand in halls, do before school and after and LUNCH), no committees, and to top it off I received an email today saying I have 900USD to buy anything I need for my classroom? WHAT. I almost fell off my chair. I thought I already had everything. We have a supply room that has a full time employee, we can get anything at any time. I don't even know what to buy.. I am sure I will find something. I wish they had electric pencil sharpeners here, or REAL staplers! I am also enjoying the fact that nobody can make major decisions besides the administration. I just feel that is how it should be.

Ok..SO my point is to not bash anything back home, since I loved it for 7 years and will be back someday. More of the fact that I am learning how things are ran here, and will definitely share the wealth when I get home. We will see:) If they keep things this good I will be here forever.

Just picked up 3 bottles of wine and dinner for 111RMB. That is 12.oo. That is my style. Going to try and drink all 3 and go for a bike ride.

JK. Headed to grocery shop. Have to drink a glass before or I will end up having a break down. Store is packed and instead of shopping they watch me. I might charge. Maybe I should walk around with my thong out. That is an idea. Every time I get a little more confidant. They don't mean any harm by it, they are just very interested. 98% of them have never been to America, and they don't have any American TV so they don't see 10ft tall blonde white girls!

Love you all...

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment